A Brief History
Loma Linda University Health

An outgrowth of the original Sanitarium on the hill in 1905, the present 11-story Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC) opened on July 9, 1967. With the completion of the Loma Linda University Children's Hospital (LLUCH) in late 1993, nearly 900 beds are available for patient care, including at Loma Linda University Medical Center East Campus and Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center (LLUBMC). Loma Linda University Health Care (LLUHC), a management service organization, supports the many programs and services provided by our 400+ faculty physicians.

We are also pleased to be involved with several outlying communities, including LLUMC-Murrieta and the Highland Springs Medical Plaza. LLUMC operates some of the largest clinical programs in the United States in areas such as neonatal care and outpatient surgery and is recognized as the international leader in infant heart transplantation and proton treatments for cancer. Each year, the institution admits more than 33,000 inpatients and serves roughly half a million outpatients. LLUMC is the only level one regional trauma center for Inyo, Mono, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties.

Timeline

1905  Loma Linda purchased & Loma Linda Sanitarium officially opens        
  School of Nursing Established           
1906 College of Evangelist opens with 35 students          
1909 School of Medicine Established            
1922 AMA Council on Medical Education votes A rating for CME         
1929 New hospital completed (now Nichol's hall)          
1943 47th General Hospital unit activated at Hammond general Hospital in Modesto, California     
1953 School of Dentistry Established           
1954  Graduate School is officially organized.          
1955  Founders Day celebrates CME’s 50th anniversary         
1956 “To Make Man Whole,” first chosen as the theme for the 1955, year-long, 50th anniversary, adopted as institution’s motto.    
1961 CME becomes Loma Linda University           
1962 LLU board votes to unify campus at Loma Linda          
1964 Ground broken for Loma Linda University Hospital         
1966 School of Allied Health Professionals established          
1967 Loma Linda University Hospital opened          
1967 Constituency approves LLU/La Sierra College merger and LSC becomes College of Arts and Sciences of LLU    
  School of Public Health Established           
1970 Loma Linda University Hospital is renamed Loma Linda University Medical Center      
1972 LLU donates 15 acres for the new VA hospital           
1974 First open heart surgery in Vietnam is done by LLU Overseas Heart Surgery Team      
1977 Grand opening is held for Jerry L. Pettis Memorial Veterans Hospital        
1979 Faculty Medical Offices building opens          
1981 The first Good Samaritan sculpture is unveiled          
  Opening ceremonies held for Del E. Webb Memorial Library and Visitors Center      
1982 Loma Linda Community Hospital purchased by LLUMC and becomes East Campus      
1984 Center for Christian Bioethics established          
  Alumni Hall for Basic Sciences opens           
  "Baby Fae" receives the heart of a baboon          
1985 SIMS (Students for International Mission Service) is established        
1986 Irwin and Virginia Schuman Pavilion is dedicated          
1987 Outpatient surgery Center is opened           
1988 Loma Linda International Heart Institute Opens          
  Ground is broken for Proton Treatment Center          
  Grand Opening ceremonies are held for LLUMC south wing        
1990 Board votes to reverse La Sierra College and Loma Linda University 23-year consolidation     
  First patient receives treatment at Proton Treatment Center        
1991 Behavioral Medicine Center becomes operational         
1992 LLUMC celebrates its 25th anniversary           
1993 LLU Children's Hospital holds grand opening ceremonies         
1995 Dedication and grand opening held for Drayson Center         
1997 Center for Spiritual Life and Wholeness is established         
1997 Wong Kerlee International Conference Center opens         
  Opening ceremonies are held for the LLU Coleman Pavilion and Chan Shun Pavilion      
  Loma Linda University Adventist Health Sciences Center entity is created       
2001 LLUCH celebrates new pediatric emergency department         
2002 LLU opens School of Pharmacy           
2003 LLU School of Behavioral Health Established     
2005 Loma Linda University and University Medical Center celebrate 100 years of service
2006 Medical Simulation Center opens in Risley Hall    
2007 School of Religion Established     
2008 Ground broken for 106-bed LLUMC-Murrieta          
2009 Loma Linda University Heart & Surgical Hospital opens         
  Centennial Complex Opens            
2010 New medical office building at Loma Linda University Medical Center – Murrieta breaks ground     
  Grand Opening of Loma Linda University Behavioral Health Institute on April 8       
  Proton ‘alumni’ to reunite to celebrate 20th anniversary of James M. Slater Proton Treatment and Research Center at Loma Linda University Medical Center    
  Loma Linda University International Heart Institute becomes first in the Inland Empire to receive accreditation for cardiac rehabilitation    
2011 Loma Linda University Medical Center-Murrieta Announces Grand Opening Celebration Event     
  Highland Springs Medical Plaza collaboration between Loma Linda University Medical Center, Redlands Community Hospital and Beaver Medical Group established
  Photo Release: Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center Celebrates 20 Years      
2012 Loma Linda University School of Dentistry opens Hugh Love Center for Research & Education in Technology    
  Loma Linda University Medical Center Featured in PBS Documentary, “The Adventists”      
2013 Loma Linda University Medical Center Opens New Women’s Cancer and Surgical Oncology Center     

© 2014 Loma Linda University Health | P.O. Box 2000, Loma Linda, CA 92354